Saturday, April 14, 2012

My Updated Career Plan

H.R. 5900, known as the 1,500 hour and ATP rule, will significantly hinder the road to my ultimate career aspirations, as it will for many young pilots. Although I have trouble finding any hard facts about this law, it appears that there will be no grandfathering into the system. If you don't have 1,500 hours and an ATP by August 2013, then you can no longer be hired by a 121 carrier and must be let go if you already are working for one. This creates an especially large problem for me because I will not be turning 23, a requirement for an ATP certificate, until October of 2013, making it impossible for me to stay with a 121 carrier. With that being said, in recent days I have been rethinking my career plan, exploring new ideas of how to log 1,500 hours to make me eligible by the time I turn 23.

Once completing my CFI and graduating, I think searching for a position as a flight instructor somewhere is the most probable option right out of school. It will allow me to log time and actually start making a little bit of money doing it instead of spending huge amounts for my time. While logging these hours I will become more hireable for a 135 operation or something of the sort. Since I do not look forward to flight instructing at all, charter flying preferably in piston twins, would be a nice way to continue my journey toward 1,500 hours. I say multi-engine aircraft because multi-engine time is obviously what makes you more hireable to any airline and what is the most expensive to pay for on your own. After reaching the age of 23 (and hopefully having 1,500 hours by then) I would unfortunately be on my own to pay for an ATP course and take the checkride. On a side note, the full 1,500 hours is a worst-case scenario. If rumors are at all true, then because I was a graduate of a collegiate aviation program and a 141 school, hopefully the requirement would be lowered to around 1,000, although I still have to wait until October 2013 for the ATP.

The next step is applying and hopefully getting hired with a regional airline, if they still exist at that time (only kidding, well kind of). I will upgrade to captain when eligible in order to get the pay raise and start logging the turbine PIC time. The next move, thousands of hours down the road, is trying to get hired with a mainline carrier, preferably Delta. Being a captain at a "real" airline is still something I really want to do even though the industry is so vulnerable. Later down the road, depending on how I am enjoying my time mainline and how the industry looks, I would still consider applying at FedEx. They appear to be the best paying airline out there and the most profitable, and good to work for. Exploring a different part of the industry may be a nice change of pace.

With all this being said, the stars would have aligned and everything would have to go as planned and stay the same for all of my goals to come true. Especially since it is the aviation industry, I expect my plans to change over time along with the constant changing of the industry, so I will remain flexible with my plans and expect the unexpected.

5 comments:

  1. I believe that its a great way to jump start out of college as a CFI, the greatest benefitis log time. I would just let anyone going into this field know not to limit yourself from other possibilities and options. This career field has so much to offer. But all in all i believe you have a set goal with a great plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does appear that the new hour regulation coming in the new future will create a lot of problems getting hired on for people in the similar position as you will find your self shortly in. I remember discussing in class about how there will be a surplus of CFIs because people are going to use that route as a method of accumulating hours. I wonder if people not wanting to get into aviation will be a factor now because of those new rules. If so, I wonder if that will further add to the surplus of CFIs. Either way, I don't envy the route pilots have to take to get established in the industry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new ATP rule is just terrible for all aspiring pilots in aviation. Not only will it affect the number of pilots available to take regional jobs, but it'll also affect (as you mentioned) CFI jobs (probably will be hard to come by, since there'll be so much demand), and even enrollment in aviation programs such as ours here at Eastern. Most new-aspiring pilots are completely unaware of the newly proposed 1500 hour ATP rule, so I suppose they'll come into programs like ours here at Eastern not fully understanding that their chance of getting a job immediately upon graduation would likely be very slim (provided the ATP rule does go through). Unless your rich, trying to work your way through the system to become an airline pilot is going to be a long, tedious-task, and probably a hassle in much regard (financially).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you in the same boat for the ATP rule. I will not be 23 until June 2014 so therefore I completely understand the predicament you are in. All I can say is get those hours as fast as you can. I am confident you will figure it out in due time. The big world is full of possibilities just waiting to get your hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As painful as being a flight instructor is, everyone I talk to seems to suggest you learn so much. The new ATP rule stinks in many ways, but hopefully FAA will come up a solution to somehow raise the starting pay as a FO. As long as you remain flexible and give it your all, all the stars will eventually align.

    ReplyDelete