Friday, January 13, 2012

Introductory Post

Things that make a lot of noise, go fast, and are complex in nature have fascinated me ever since I can remember. Also, operating machines and going through the procedures to do so have always been an interest of mine. Throw in the thrill and freedom of leaving the earth's surface, and the challenge that flying and learning to fly presents, and you have my passion for the only thing I can see myself doing for a living for the rest of my life: flying airplanes.

Several events quickly brought me to realize my passion for aviation. First, I took a sort of industrial technology class in the 7th grade which sampled several different technologies in numerous modules throughout the course of the semester. The module that I enjoyed the most was the one about airplanes. I learned the basic parts of an airplane and some basic aerodynamics. We also got to spend time flying an airplane on Microsoft Flight Simulator, which was very fun for me. Secondly, my dad started to rent an office at Grosse Ile Municipal Airport that overlooks the airfield. I started hanging around there a lot and making some pilot friends. My aunt and uncle also own a couple of airplanes, so I started to fly with them from time to time and I loved it. They have always been there to answer questions and promote aviation for me. Anyway I began to fly with a few other people at the airport and realized that I would like to get my private pilot certificate when I would be old enough, and in high school I realized that I would love flying as a profession.

Despite all of the uncertainty of the airline industry and all of the jokes I hear about flying for an airline, this is the type of flying I want to do. I like the structure of the airline world and the idea of fly for an airline, and I eventually would like to fly large aircraft to destinations around the world. The flight benefits aren't a bad perk either! Unless something drastically changes, I would like to spend my career working for the airlines.

My plan is like most other collegiate flight students these days. Once my flight training is complete I will probably flight instruct somewhere to build time (although bypassing this is very much a welcome idea). I would then like to get hired at a regional airline and fly there until I have enough time and experience to start applying to mainline carriers.

I would, however, like to remain active in the general aviation world. Flying small aircraft recreationally seems like it will be a nice, fun change of pace from the airline world. It provides an opportunity for some "real" flying and a good way to keep some of your skills and basic knowledge. It is always nice to go where you want when you want, and maybe have a little fun along the way. Although I would love to fly a big jet, there is nothing like flying a small single engine aircraft.

Some current topics that interest me are the new regulations coming into effect regarding crew rest and duty time, but more so the new regulations coming in regards to airline hiring minimums. It is something that will probably be affecting me in the not too distant future, so I would like to know all of the current information about it. Also I am interested in the NextGen air traffic control system and the progress the FAA is making with it. I can imagine that I will spend much of my career flying on the NextGen system. I am interested in the hiring boom that is supposed to be occurring over the next several years in the airlines, and how the bankruptcy of American Airlines and American Eagle, as well as other rumored bankruptcies expected in the regional airline world might effect that.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice write up. You are lucky to have had all the family support as you pursue your career. I hope you do figure out a way to remain active in the GA community once you are flying professionally. I think a lot of professional pilots miss the side of the industry.

    ReplyDelete